Followers

Saturday, May 14, 2016

In preparation of a birthday celebration at the Peninsula-Bangkok

THE PENINSULA BANGKOK
The tale of a personal birthday bash

Thinking about how I could possibly celebrate my birthday this year, a thought slowly came into my mind to spend a night at a prestigious local hotel.

The first idea was, of course, to check in at the Mandarin-Oriental, a long-time favorite of many illustrious writers (Joseph Conrad, Somerset Maugham, John LeCarre, James Michener, Barbara Cartland, Ian Fleming, Graham Greene, Norman Mailer, Paul Theroux).
But I also remembered that just across the Chao Phraya River, the Peninsula had kept an excellent record of 5-star luxury ever since it opened. My final decision was made through the implementation of several factors. First, their current offer rate was very attractive. Then, the location provided an overall view of Bangkok from the other side of the river. Thonburi has been a constant favorite of my local explorations for these past few months. It would then provide me with an extra activity in exploring the vicinity. Finally, I checked their records of excellence, a truly impressive list !
                                                                   World Travel Awards
Any other website would confirm this certificate of excellence and superior service. So, with no hesitation, I chose to make a booking for the night of 17th to 18th of May. I simply told them that it was a personal birthday celebration and that I was requesting the highest floor possible with a view on the river.
                                                                  Peninsula Hotel Bangkok
Not long after did I realize what kind of services I was being offered ! I started receiving personal Email messages to prepare my stay : the reception, the concierge, the eating outlets.
So, first, I made an online booking at their Thai restaurant Thiptara to dine al fresco by the river at night. The confirmation came promptly. Then, they thought I might be a visitor arriving at Suvarnabhumi Airport. So they could provide me with a signature transfer by choosing a vehicle : a BMW, a Benz Vito Van or even a Rolls Royce ! Well, I told them I was a local resident and that I would go to BTS-Saphan Taksin bridge pier and take one of their shuttle boats from there.
Dear Mr. Christian Sorand,

Greeting from The Peninsula Bangkok, Concierge

As requested, please see below our shuttle boat service :

Peninsula Hotel – Peninsula Pier: 6:00hrs – 24:00hrs
Peninsula Hotel – Taksin Pier (Central Pier): 6:00hrs – 24:00hrs
Note: Boat shuttle service is flexible to take our guests to Shangri-la Hotel Pier, Oriental Public Pier upon request.

Should you have any further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Best regards,

Then I also received a message from the Assistant Guest Relations Manager regarding my special request :
Dear Mr. Sorand,

Thank you for your reply and your arrival time. We have assign you on the high floor with very nice view of Chaopraya river to celebrate your special Birthday occasion.
We will have special amenity set up in the room for you also.

Have a good journey to or hotel. See you soon ka.

Best Regards,

The whole thing looks promising in regard to my expectations for the event. Being a personal extravaganza, it brings a lot of excitement beforehand and a prospect to enjoy a full extra ordinary situation. I already start thinking this was a brilliant idea !
MAY 17

At the Peninsula (Day 1)

The day has come ! And yes, I am excited ! I packed last evening to be ready to go ASAP...So, here is the countdown of the first day spent at The Peninsula in Thonburi-Bangkok :

03:30am : Lately, the heatwave has made me an insomniac perhaps because I turn off the A/C at
Breakfast at home
night. But I'll go back to bed till later...

05:45am : Wake-up time and breakfast with the sunrise from my balcony with the sound of online ambient Ibiza chill. The mood is set !

09:00am : Ready to go. I figured out it will take me about an hour to reach the Peninsula. First, by taking the MRT-underground line to Silom, then the BTS-'Skytrain' line to Saphan Taksin and finally the hotel own barge across the river.
10:15am : After stopping for coffee at Chong Nonsi, I arrived at Taksin Pier a little after 10:00am. The hotel shuttle barge picked me up to cross the river sideways to the Peninsula Pier. I checked in and was privately ushered up to my room.
10:30am : My room (nº2305), facing the Chao Phraya, is on the 23rd Floor. Absolutely superb and furnished with oriental antiques. There are tropical fruits disposed on a wooden dish. The difference lies in the details : a CD/DVD player, a desk copy/fax machine, electric curtains, real tea facilities, and so on..
King-size bed for the king of the day!

Room lounge area
Bathtub


11:00am : After unpacking, I went down again to explore the hotel ground, the lounge, the restaurants, the bars, the garden, the pools, the spa, the gallery of boutiques.
12:00 noon : I briefly came back to the room to cool off a bit. It is still so hot outside. Then, I decide to explore this area of Thonburi and look for a place to have a light lunch. I also walk around this part of Thonburi, which seems a bit more developed. However, I manage to walk down an interesting soi at the back of the Peninsula. It goes all the way to the river bank. On my way back, I also visit a Thai temple across the street, but it remains a moderate sight.
02:00pm : I return to the room to rest for a while and eat some of the fruits : a mango, a small Asian
The pool
banana, and a rambutan.
A relaxing afternoon on the premises. And since I woke up early, I took a nap before enjoying the comfort of the room and the sublime environment of the hotel. 
06:00pm : I was allowed to go up to the top floor function room on 37th F. Too early for sunset but an amazing view on the western side of Thonburi. I went back to the garden and the riverside after that to take some more photos. I also visited the old teak house at the Thai restaurant, where I will dine later on.
06:30pm : The room service boy comes to make the bed, change the linen, and bring me another ripe mango. This is what five-star service is all about !
07:00pm : Dinner at Thiptara, the riverside Thai restaurant of The Peninsula. I had booked a table by
Thai birthday dinner
the river. But tonight, it may rain and I have to change to a table in a Thai bungalow. Great service. I choose a duck in red curry marinated with basil leaves, Thai steamed rice, a glass of Shiraz Aussie wine, and the birthday cake is complimentary on the house !

Relaxing in the room after 8:00pm.

11:30pm : lights out.
Night panorama of Bangkok from the room window
MAY 18
At the Peninsula (Day 2)
Cityscape at sunrise from my room window

05:30am to 06:00am : Woke up to watch a spectacular sunrise above the city skyline and the Chao Phraya River ! Taking photos and sipping my own brewed coffee while enjoying the moment.
At the riverside café
8:00am to 8:30am : Warming-up cardio at the fitness center.
9:00am : Buffet breakfast by the river bank. Exquisite time, where a juice is not simply an orange juice as they add a spice taste to it; where coffee tastes like real, good freshly brewed coffee; where there are fresh salmon and a large selection of cheeses; where yogurts are home-made, and where croissants taste like the French ones! I took my time to enjoy it all...
10:00am to 10:15am : Reading the Bangkok Post with more GOOD coffee!
11:00am to 11:30am : Swimming at the hotel pools. After another gray morning, the sun is back and it feels good to refresh a bit. 
One of the Peninsula pools appointed as a quiet zone

Back to the room : a simple call to the front desk allowed me to stay till 1:00pm!
11:30am till 12:30pm : Packing, getting ready and enjoying the last moments at this incomparable hotel!
01:00pm : Check-out time and back on the hotel barge to Saphan Taksin Pier.
Waiting for the hotel barge at The Peninsula Pier
What a wonderful birthday celebration YOU all gave me ! I have had a great time at this amazing hotel, the Bangkok Peninsula, where the staff was absolutely up to all expectations ! Technology has provided a way to keep in touch with my family, either in France or in Georgia, U.S. ; I had a video conference with my Mum, sharing views of the hotel ; a recorded voice message from my grand-nephew, Baptiste, whose birthday was yesterday ; dozens of cards and messages from my friends from literally all over the world, from my Thai friends, from former colleagues, from former students too... So many love thoughts from you guys ! I feel blessed and so thankful. To you all : thank you with all my heart ! It was such a pleasure to share this experience online.

Leaving the Peninsula

Aboard the hotel barge
--> Movie
--> Photo album: "Two days at The Peninsula, Bangkok"

- The end -

No comments:

Post a Comment