Followers

Friday, January 5, 2018

Return Trip to Thailand

Santa Maria Maggiore, Rome
ALITALIA E175 from MRS to FCO
After almost a one-month leave, it is now time to go back to Bangkok for the rest of the winter season. Although, the weather was mild, mostly sunny in Tunisia and in Provence, it feels good to go back to the warm environment of southeast Asia.
From Marseilles to Rome – 03/01/2018.
My sister drove me to Marseille-Provence airport [MRS] in the afternoon to catch the evening flight to Rome-Fiumicino [FCO]. This is just a short hop. ALITALIA operates a smaller, Brazilian-made aircraft (E175) on this route. As I was on business class, I had the privilege to have a full dinner with a glass of red wine aboard the airplane. The fight to Rome lasted 50 min only.
ALITALIA flight from MRS to FCO
As usual, it was a bit long to get the luggage at T1. I walked to T3 in order to leave the case at the left-luggage counter (6 euros / 24h). Then, I proceeded to the airport station in order to get into the 'Leonardo Express' train to Rome-Termini (14 euros OW / 32 min).
ROME – 03-04/02/2018.
Relais Cavour, Rome
The B & B I chose to stay in, is near the Termini-station on the main via Cavour. It only took me ten minutes to reach the building where Relais Cavour-Inn is located. I followed the instruction to get in. My room (#104) was really nice and modern.
Room at Relais Cavour
Before going to bed, I chose to take a night walk to the area I already knew. Since I stayed near Santa Maria Maggiore basilica, I first went there before going anywhere else.
Next day, I woke up at 6:30AM as I wanted to be ready to go out. Breakfast is served in the room at 8:00AM.
Narrow street near Trevi
Covered gallery in Trevi area
I left the inn at 8:30AM. My main purpose was to see a part of Rome I did not know well. I headed to
Building courtyard
the Trevi Fountain by walking in two different sections. Rome is so rich in culture that there is always new things to discover. It is amazing how one can hop from
piazza to piazza in the Eternal City! I walked past a monument with the city symbol: the she-wolf with Remus & Romulus. The air was brisk but it was a beautiful sunny day. At this early time, there weren't too many people in the streets nor too many tourists around. Even at the Trevi Fountain, the tourists were few but I thought that was a great time to be there. Wandering around the narrow streets of this Roman section, I walked as far as Bernini Square and the Fountain of the Triton. Then I started to walk back to the B & B via the Piazza della Repubblica near Termini-station. Check-out time is at 11:00AM at Relais-Cavour.

Via Veneto
Piazza della Repubblica

In the 'Leonardo Express'
Back at Termini, I rode back the 'Leonardo Express' to Fiumicino. I checked my case out of the left-luggage counter and it was already time to check in for the QATAR Airways flight to Doha [DOH].
Being a privileged QR customer, I can check in at the Business counter even when traveling economy. They changed the aircraft today to an A340-600. I was allowed to be on the first row of the economy cabin [01A]. Using the Fast Track security lane in T3, I then proceeded to reach the International terminal E by using 'Le Enfore' lounge.
Flights back to BKK
From Rome [FCO] to Doha [DOH] – 04/01/2018.
The aircraft did not leave exactly on schedule but it did not seem to affect the time of arrival. QATAR is really good at welcoming back its frequent travelers. Even in economy, the air-hostess brought me a welcome drink and made me choose my dinner straight away.
Soon after take-off, the air-attendant came back to bring me a glass of red wine before serving the dinner. The dinner-tray was good and at the end, I even had a glass of Cognac with coffee.
The rest of the trip went quite smoothly. The flight lasted 5h20.
QATAR Airways flight from FCO to DOH


Hamad International Airport, Doha [HIA].
It was just a brief transit at Doha airport. I had time to go for a short while to Qatar business lounge before proceeding to the airplane for the last portion of the trip back to Bangkok.
From Doha [DOH] to Bangkok [BKK] – 05/01/2018.
Business class again [seat 4F] on the QATAR Airways B777-300ER to Bangkok-Sourvanabhumi. I slept most of the way. I asked the air attendant to wake me up 90min before landing. I had a real nice breakfast on board, refreshed a little and it was already time to land at BKK after a flight of about 6h.
QATAR Airways flight from DOH to BKK


 - End of the trip -

No comments:

Post a Comment