Followers

Tuesday, June 5, 2018

June Trip back to Europe via Austria & Greece

The time has come again for my second trip back to Europe to visit friends & family and stay at my home in Provence.
JUNE 05 - So, tonight, while waiting to board the QATAR AIRWAYS flight back to the E.U., I open the first page of a new book that will be added in the next few weeks page after page.
Next destination will be Vienna tomorrow morning.

After a 6h25 night flight to Hamad International Airport [HIA], the A380-800 landed in Doha later than scheduled. I have already noticed that A388s departing from Suvarnabhumi [BKK] are usually late. I was seated alone on the front row window [25A] on the upper deck. As usual, the greeting is personalized for frequent travelers on Qatar Airways [QR]. In spite of flying economy [Y] on this sector, I had a great meal with red wine and even a glass of Cognac with my after-dinner tea.
QR flight from BKK to DOH aboard the A388
I am now killing off transit time at the First Class Business lounge due to my Gold Card. It is good to break the journey and refresh a bit before boarding the next airplane.
JUNE 06 - Here is another turnout to the trip. When I arrived at the departure gate, I was told that the flight was delayed due to a technical problem. So we had to wait another 45 minutes in the early hours of the morning before being able to board the coach to the aircraft....
But once onboard this brand new A350-900, everything was fine. I had a window seat [01A] and we left soon after for Vienna [VIE].
The A359 is a fine aircraft very similar to the 'Dreamliner. I ordered a light meal made of a cheese platter and the mango dessert with a glass of Aussie Shiraz. It was served soon after take-off and I was not long to go to sleep and get some rest. I woke up about an hour before landing just in time for a continental breakfast. This trip was only a 5-hour flight to Vienna International Airport.
QR flight from DOH to VIE aboard an A350-900

VIENNA, Austria

From JUNE 06 to JUNE 08 - A 3-Day stopover in VIENNA that will be dealt with separately later on. Luckily, I had a great weather during this visit. It stayed dry and sunny most of the time. I was also able to catch up with former colleagues from Tunisia & Malaysia.
At the Danube canal in downtown Vienna, Austria
JUNE 08 - It is quick to get from downtown Vienna to the Airport. The express train [CAT] covers the distance in 16 minutes.
I arrived early at  Vienna Airport. It is big and modern. But the low-cost terminal [T1A] is far away and you need a walk a fair distance. Then there is nothing to do in this terminal until checking. So I return to the main building and walk up to the view café overlooking the airfield in order to kill off time.
But the time for boarding has come. Passengers are waiting for the coach to get us onboard but nothing is happening. VOLOTEA is one of these no-frills airlines. Not even an announcement to their passengers. Only after I asked what's going on, do they tell that the flight will be delayed.
Almost an hour later, we are finally whisked to the aircraft, a B717. I am sitting at the front [seat 3A]. We leave Vienna [VIE] at night. I paid for a basic snack, which I will never get! The flight lasts 1h30 but by the time we land at Marseille-Provence [MRS], it is past 1:00AM.
V7 flight from VIE to MRS aboard a B717
Everything is closed at the airport. Another coach had to take the passengers to the terminal. Then we must wait for the luggage.
Once at home, later that night, I will find out that one side corner of my brand new suitcase had been damaged!
Fly VOLOTEA!

JUNE 09-17 - At my residence in ARLES, Provence.
The Rhône River in Arles-en-Provence
JUNE 18-20 - In NICE with a side trip to VENTIMIGLIA & DOLCEACQUA, Italy.
The Bay of Villefranche-sur-Mer
JUNE 21 - ARLES
JUNE 22 - MARSEILLES with a visit to the Picasso exhibit at Vieille Charité in the old Panier area.

JUNE 23-25 - Back to ARLES.
On 25/06 late afternoon train to Marseille-Provence Airport [MRS].
Htl.Ibis at Marseille-Provence Airport
Night at airport IBIS Hotel.
JUNE 26 - Early morning departure aboard VOLOTEA [V7] flight from Marseilles [MRS] to Mykonos [JMK]. The B717 aircraft flew this non-stop flight in 2h30 [seat 01F].
This time the flight went fine.

The V7 route from MRS to JMK aboard a B717


MYKONOS Island, Greece

JUNE 26-28 - Three days stopover in Mykonos Island.

I stayed at a beautiful family hotel [VANA HOLIDAYS] at Ornos with an awesome view of the bay of Ornos.

Morning view from my balcony at Vana Holidays, Ornos
Ornos Bays on Mykonos Island
As I rented a small FIAT-PANDA, I was able to tour the island during my stay there.
A far-away view of Hora from the tip of Ornos Cape
The Old Port of Hora, Mykonos main town
The roofs of Hora from the top of the hill
Ftelia Beach
Paraga Beach
JUNE 28 - Afternoon departure with QATAR AIRWAYS [QR] from Mykonos [JMK] to Doha [DOH] aboard an A320 [seat 02F]. The fight lasted exactly 4h.
QR A320 at Mykonos Airport
QR route from JMK to DOH aboard an A320
Short transit at Hamad International Airport, Doha [HIA] before flying off to my final destination in Bangkok.
JUNE 29 - Last flight on QR from Doha [DOH] to Bangkok-Suvarnabhumi [BKK] aboard a B777-300ER. As I traveled in business class, I had the surprise to discover Qatar Airways new business class.
My cabin 3A

This night flight lasted 6h40 and the aircraft landed in the early morning at Suvarnabhumi Airport.
QR route from DOH to BKK aboard a B773ER


- End of this trip -

No comments:

Post a Comment