Followers

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Thai wine-tasting at the Bangkok-Peninsula

Wine consumption has spread worldwide lately. Besides the traditionally wine-growing producing regions, new countries have entered the race to forge a reputation. Thailand is one of those. There exists now five vineyard regions: 
  • In northern Thailand: the Phu Rua Valley (Loei), Mai Chan Valley (Chiang Rai)
  • The Khao Yai Valley
  • Silverlake estate near Pattaya
  • The Chao Phraya delta
  • Hua Hin Valley.
On a few occasions, I have visited the Silverlake vineyard near Pattaya. This is a truly beautiful location in a valley near Buddha Mountain, having a lovely tropical garden and an Italian-style community center with an A/C wine-bar. One time, I sat there for my own wine-tasting session. They produce three types: two kinds of white (Chenin Blanc, originally from the Loire Valley, and Chardonnay, from Burgundy), a rosé grande, and a red (Syrah or Shiraz, originally from the Rhône Valley, bearing the name of the famed Persian city of Shiraz, known as being the original birthplace of the grape). I kind of enjoyed their Chardonnay, thought that their rosé was palatable but definitively banned their Shiraz.
Nevertheless, recently the Bangkok-Peninsula Hotel was offering a Thai wine-tasting session, featuring the Khao Yai Winery from the PB (Dr. Piya Bhirombhakdi) estates. So, I signed in to try another new Thai brandname for wine, and also to return to The Peninsula, which is such a grand hotel in the 'City of Angels'.

The Peninsula Bangkok

This is one of Bangkok finest hotels with a worldwide reputation for excellence. I stayed there before
Shuttle boat to Peninsula
and really enjoyed being there. Located on the right bank of the Chao Phraya River, in Thonburi, it is right on the riverbank facing the Shangri-La and another grande dame, the Mandarin-Oriental.
To reach the hotel from Saphan Taksin pier, one must use their own shuttle boat built in Thai style. Being there early, I revisited the ground floor premises by the river. Their oriental art collection is worth seeing.
Lobby tea-room
Lobby bar ceiling
Wall wood panel
Painting of Thai bird cages

Bronze Garuda on a Naga
Elephant statue

The Khao Yai Wine-tasting

The wine-tasting session was held at the Thiptara Thai restaurant, set in a beautiful Siamese atmosphere, right on the bank of the Chao Phraya. When I arrived, I was told that I could first have beer, should I wish to. I declined because I could not come to the idea of mixing beer with wine. But then I learned that the PB Estates were, in fact, the same as Singha Beer !
They presented three types of wines: white, rosé and red. They also offered some delicious Thai delicacies to go along with, in an impeccable service.
I first started tasting their Chenin Blanc, which I thought was quite good. Then, I switched to their rosé, which I thought was not to my taste at all. I was waiting for their Shiraz with some palatable experience. However, I was quite disappointed, not that it was not good but simply too young in taste.  This wine has probably a good potential provided it is kept properly so that it can mature to enhance its quality.
White (Chenin blanc)
Rosé
Red (Shiraz)
PB Estates wine-tasting at Thiptara restaurant
Sala Pavilion
Chao Phraya bank
The industry might still be too young in Thailand. I also wonder why it seems to be such a necessity to grow three colors at the same time. The Chenin Blanc appears to do pretty well. Growing Shiraz or Cabernet Sauvignon takes a lot of savoir-faire. The quality of the earth, as well as the exposure to the sun play an important role in the making. Moreover, wine conservation is not only a matter of experience but also a matter of aging adequately.
It will probably take many more years before the Thai wine-making may improve its quality in order to be able to compete with other down under wines from Australia or New Zealand.

Yet, I am grateful to the Peninsula to offer such an opportunity. I thought I had to pay for this wine-tasting session. To my surprise, the staff told me it was a hotel activity offerered to their guestd and that it was therefore complimentary.
Peninsula front garden & the River Café.


No comments:

Post a Comment